Get ready to change your life!
Mixed Martial Arts & Fitness Academy
1120 March Rd, Unit B, Kanata, Ontario, K2K 1X7
Tel: 613.863.7115 Fax: 613.435.7553
SCHEDULE A FREE WEEK TODAY!
Just click the button for instant access to our class schedule and your FREE WEEK! Our staff will contact you to schedule your first class and provide all your pricing options.
SERVING THE KANATA AREA FOR OVER 18 YEARS
9 Benefits of Martial Arts for Kids with Focus Issues
2018-08-13 3:12 PM
Exercise is great for any kid. But children with focus issues can have a hard time finding an activity that will help them focus and grow as individuals. Many families have discovered that martial arts are an excellent option.
There are lots of reasons martial arts can be a good match for kids with focus issues. Here are nine benefits:
- They focus on individual growth, not on team competition. Many kids with learning and attention issues struggle with the pressure of having to compete with other kids. So traditional sports may not appeal to them. But in martial arts, the focus is on self-improvement. There’s no “letting down the team.”
- They offer concrete, attainable goals. Some kids with learning and attention issues may feel like they never “win” at anything. In martial arts, kids work at their own pace. They’re awarded a different colored belt every time they reach a new skill level. This can boost self-esteem and keep them motivated.
- Routines are broken down into manageable chunks. A technique in martial arts can have dozens of different movements. But kids learn gradually, repeating and adding steps as they go. They learn to anticipate which step comes next and eventually put everything together into fluid movements. All of this gives working memory a workout, but in a way that kids may find manageable.
- They emphasize self-control and concentration. Attention is central to martial arts. Kids must stay focused to learn and to perform. When a child’s focus drifts, instructors will often ask them to take the “ready stance.” This position allows them to reset and ready themselves for what’s next.
- They can help with coordination. The deliberate, repetitive movements of martial arts can help kids develop a better feel for their body in space, which can be useful to kids who struggle with motor skills. This may also help some kids understand the power of the mind over the body, which some find to be valuable for kids with ADHD.
- They provide structure and clear expectations for behavior. Good martial arts instructors have clear rules and constantly reinforce them. They also emphasize good behavior in and out of class. Some even send kids home with behavior charts their parents must sign.
- They can provide a safe outlet for excess energy. Contrary to what some might expect, martial arts don’t encourage violent behavior. In fact, instructors often emphasize that fighting is a last resort. At the same time, kicking and karate chopping can allow kids to work out frustration or anger, while also practicing self-control.
- The environment is accepting and communal. Respect is a core value in martial arts. Students are expected to show it for their instructor and their peers. Negativity is generally not tolerated in class, and students are encouraged to support each other.
- They’re just plain cool! Kids with learning and attention issues can often feel awkward or socially out of the loop. But lots of kids think martial arts are cool. It’s hard not to feel special when you’re wearing martial arts gear and breaking boards in half
How does MIxed Martial Arts & Fitness Academy (MMAFA) / ATT Ottawa can help you develop more focus in your child?
- At MMAFA, we take a very structured approach that focuses on your child’s character development.
- We provide a FREE WEEK of classes so that we can asses your child’s strenghts and challenges. To see if we are a good fit for everyone.
- We have a low student-to-teacher ratio. To maintain quality over quantity! We are not a Black Belt factory, your children will earn every stripe and belt the old fashion way, through hardwork and dedication. If our classes get too big, we offer more classes so that quality control is always maintained!
- We have over 25 years of teaching children and 18 years in Kanata!
For more information please contact us at 613.863.7115 or register for a FREE WEEK here.